Post-Beta thoughts: how Destiny can reach its full potential (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 15:07 (3562 days ago) @ kapowaz

It does occur to me however that for a game which is primarily co-operative, the default communication black-out seems misplaced. It's generally in competitive games that the worst behaviour of gamers is exhibited, and it's not hard to see why: if somebody beats you, then some players might feel compelled to lash out verbally. But in a game where you most need more communication in a co-operative environment, I'm not certain that players would be regularly abusive. Players in MMOs can be offensive, but generally speaking having free text-based chat is more positive than negative, after all.

This is true. Running into obnoxious players in ME3 multiplayer, for example, is extremely rare. Practically non-existent, I'd say (as an aside, I have a feeling this relative lack of douchery is part of the reason I hear way more female voices in ME3 than I do in say, a Halo multiplayer lobby).

I'm still not sure I'm sold on proximity voice for Destiny. ME3 has no competitive multiplayer at all, so the players who focus on that exclusively aren't present for the most part. Destiny does have competitive multiplayer though, and it's not super hard to move between the modes. Inevitably there's going to be some cross-over.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread