“You were oblivious to the magical bits beneath the hood” (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, August 03, 2014, 13:12 (3560 days ago) @ kapowaz

This was a hand-waving answer? I found it pretty clear he was stating that they can make changes very quickly and even on the fly when they need to. Basically saying even if we don't make some changes before the game goes gold it doesn't mean we can't make them.

Yeah, that's the way I interpret that too, but it's also kind of rhetorical. I think it's more or less a given that they can tweak variables in the background and deploy server-side changes to the game. That kind of thing is old hat in online games. I'm pretty sure the question was more likely to have been about one of:

* Decrypting engrams in the field
* Going straight from the tower to a mission/crucible
* Richer communication options

None of these would have been deployed silently in the background, I suspect.

I wonder if there's not more to the Tower than the Beta showed us - and so the answer to the first two points might have been "we're not really willing to tell you about why we're not making those changes right now". (The third item on your list is a wish that many, perhaps most of us have - I'm definitely hoping we hear about those changes soon.) However, your "more or less a given" statement might be off a bit; do you remember a few years back, when a fusion coil on Valhalla took nearly 6 months to be removed from Matchmaking after Bungie ACKNOWLEDGED it was usable in ways that they hadn't anticipated? I think server-side changes to the game are not as easy as you think they are, even for really (seemingly) simple things.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread