Client-side simulation? (Destiny)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Monday, August 04, 2014, 02:23 (3560 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Monday, August 04, 2014, 02:33

I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that Destiny actually runs a lot of the simulation client-side.
I'm not a guru in this stuff though, so I'll edit this post with a link if I find the write-up.

EDIT: The Matchmaking Technology of Destiny

"You have all of these examples of people who are doing big server cluster things like World of Warcraft or something like that. But we didn’t really want to do that, because if you think about those kinds of games, you’ve got a centralized server that’s simulating everything in the world, but that can only scale up to some number of players. Maybe it’s 1,000. Maybe it’s 5,000. Maybe it’s 20,000. You compare that to the population of a console game and it’s tiny.

So what that means is that you have to have dozens or hundreds of these separate servers. So we started out by thinking, “We want to have a single world that everybody can be in.”

We took this mesh-based networking that we’ve been developing for years and years with Halo and adapted that networking to work in a seamless interconnected world full of other players and AIs. So when you’re playing a destination you’re moving from area to area and every one of those areas has got this mesh networking with a group of players that are in it at this one time. And then it has its own servers for that particular area so you’re continuously moving around between these groups of both consoles and also dedicated servers that are hosting it."

Continues at link above.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread