AFK and Crucible Marks (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 14:24 (3563 days ago)

I don't remember if you get any crucible marks for losing games, but if you do, then this is even worse.

Normal people work for 8 hours and sleep for 8 hours. That's 16 hours a day you aren;t earning crucible marks. But you can! Destiny automatically throws you into the matchmaking queue after some number of seconds on the post game screen.

So. You enter matchmaking, then you leave and go to sleep. You wake to find your guardian has been in say, 40 games over those 8 hours. 4 of them your team won despite you not being present. Cool! 4 crucible points. Do it while you are at work, and that's 8 free points a day. If your team wins more, you get more :-p

Requiring a button press or hold to get back into the matchmaking queue wouldn't work, since you could just wedge that down.

This would suck, because if I'm playing Crucible for fun, I don't want AFKers.

Fortunately, Bungie undoubtedly will be able to detect this with their tools, and perhaps also even simple workarounds like rubber banding the analog stick so you are at least moving.

Still though, the fact this even occurred to me makes me pause. Since folks are going to want to get crucible points as fast as possible to get cool guns, and since going AFK enables this, then we have a game design in which going AFK for the times you can't play is the optimal way to do things.

That means at the core, something is wrong with the system.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread