The Used Games Saga

by Beckx, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 12:13 (4075 days ago) @ stabbim

Here's where it currently stands.

Yoshida confirmed that the hardware will play all games and that it can be used offline. But, he later implied that publishers will have the ability to do something to charge money. They won't say anything else. It's not clear if they were just referring to the current online pass regime, or something like it, or if the console employs technology that allows publishers the option to block a game entirely until it's licensed. Unfortunately, despite Yoshida's early words, the situation on the PS4 is just not clear.

All we have Durango are rumors, but the rumors all point in the same direction of a universal block/new license required.

My personal belief is that both systems will have functionality allowing publishers to require a new license for used games. I hope to be wrong about this. Even if the tech isn't there, I think you'll see an expansion of the online pass system to do the same thing. EA's already pioneered locking single player content behind the "online pass" in KOA:Reckoning, so really, they don't need the console manufacturers to be a on board, it just makes it easier.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread