Destiny needs more downtime. (Destiny)

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 09:22 (3505 days ago)

The game has incredible atmosphere throughout the entire experience, yet there are very few places where the game really lets you pause to appreciate it. In the wilds you have maybe a minute or less before enemies start shooting at you again, so it feels like you constantly need to focus on them. Back at the tower it's running from one green diamond to the next, spending time in menus... But the times where I actually stop in between decoding engrams and upgrading, I feel like I've found the true joy of the game. It's beautiful, tranquil, serene... Lots of other synonyms for peaceful and relaxing. One thing I really like about Destiny is how casually it's played. It's great for coming home from a long day at work and just relaxing to. The problem is that the game itself has very little relaxing content in it, save for what you make for yourself in between playing the actual game.

I guess if I could make a suggestion to the developers, I'd just love to see some more focus spent on creating peaceful periods of downtime for the player too. A LOT of effort was put into perfecting the systems and art that makes this world beautiful, and yet I feel like most players will never appreciate just how deep that goes, simply because the game rarely encourages them to.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread