Destiny needs more downtime. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 19:17 (3504 days ago) @ Postmortem

The game has incredible atmosphere throughout the entire experience, yet there are very few places where the game really lets you pause to appreciate it. In the wilds you have maybe a minute or less before enemies start shooting at you again, so it feels like you constantly need to focus on them.

Couldn't agree more. Those respawn timers-- the ones set to six seconds that led to loot cave farming-- should probably be increased across the board. I'm sure they're afraid of people overpopulating an area and standing around with nothing to shoot at, but it robs the player of any sense of achievement or progress when enemies respawn so quickly, in addition to making them feel like they need to rush across the landscape or be in constant motion.

The same applies elsewhere. I think the idea of strike playlists is great. I'm enjoying them. But when a series of encounters consumes 20-40 minutes, I do NOT want to start another one up again in 30 seconds. I do not want to be rushed away from the results screen and back into matchmaking just because it is convenient for the system to do so. More than once I've had to bail at the start of a strike because I failed to cancel matchmaking while looking at the postgame report.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread