Thoughts on the Destiny Soundtrack (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 10:40 (3505 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Most of it, however, doesn't seem like anything special. It's all the sort of typical stuff you'd find in really any video game soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, it's exciting to listen to in the heat of battle and fulfills its purpose to set the mood. However, only a few tracks stand out as truly great standalone pieces that only need itself, and not gameplay, to warrant casual listening.

What do you think?

Soundtracks usually have music which is meant to support the visuals. Very rarely are they good on their own, and when they are, they are usually distracting and overpowering of the image.

It's one of the reasons why a good friend of mine, who is a classical composer, has refused to do movie scores despite many lucrative offers: he wants the music to be able to stand on its own, not be subservient to the visuals.

For Destiny's to be this way is not surprising. I think in game though, it does a fantastic job. Better than any of the Halo games in my opinion.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread