Thoughts on the Destiny Soundtrack (Destiny)

by Jabberwok, Saturday, September 27, 2014, 13:35 (3505 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For Destiny's to be this way is not surprising. I think in game though, it does a fantastic job. Better than any of the Halo games in my opinion.

Have to disagree with that, but personal taste has a lot to do with it. For me, the soundtracks for ODST and Reach were really hitting their stride; maybe partly just the sort of thing I like, but also very consistent and on point in tone. I've always liked Marty's penchant for the orchestral, and along with the use of drums, the sound really set Halo apart from everything else I hear in games.

I like some of the music in Destiny a lot, but I don't sense the same level of consistency, such that it often feels like individual tracks, as opposed to a single score that ties everything together. I do like the different feels for each race and planet they've established, though. I think it would all gel better if they stuck with the same instrumentation throughout, and then changed keys and themes when necessary. The use of more electronic sounds for the Vex makes sense, but it could be layered on top of the existing lineup. I'm just rambling, now. Destiny has also had a lot less time to find it's sound, obviously, so I wonder if they will be able to maintain a memorable theme throughout the series the way Halo did. Without Marty around, I have my doubts about that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread