This (Destiny)

by Jabberwok, Monday, October 06, 2014, 15:47 (3512 days ago) @ Ragashingo

What it might come down to is Bungie has never really designed the best boss fights. Halo 2 had the unforgiving Elite + Copies on the gas giant, Regret & the Throne of Invincibility, and Tartarus. Halo 3 and ODST had Scarbs which are really just big Spider Tanks with less attack options. (Scarbs had main gun + turret, Spider Tanks have main gun, blue gun, front twirly-wirly gun, EMP shockwave, grenades, Shanks)

If anything the Raid seems like a positive sign that Bungie can and hopefully will do better in the future.

See, I thought scarabs made for interesting bosses, because there were so many ways to deal with them. Sometimes I would go for the legs to get them on the ground, hop on board and take out the reactor. Other times, I would just stay in a vehicle and take out their rear armor, then snipe the reactor from far away. My favorite strategy was to ride shotgun on a hornet, then board the scarab by leaping off as we flew over it. If you did it wrong, fighting a scarab could drag on for a long time, but do it right, and you could take it out in less than 20 seconds.

The Heretic Elite I thought was okay, too, because it was about choosing the right one, but I'll admit it wasn't great aside from that. Tartarus was the most like a bullet sponge, but seeing him and his brutes duke it out with the elites while we fought was usually fun, and the arena itself was kind of interesting to navigate.

I will say that spider tanks are one of my favorite bosses in Destiny, because of all the different things they can do, though the strategy for defeating them is only slightly different from the other bosses, which is just shoot them a lot in critical locations. For that reason, not as much fun as scarabs to me.

I'm curious about raid bosses, but most everything else is just a large, slow version of a regular enemy, that can soak up a lot more hits. The way I see it, if they aren't going to do something unique, I woud rather just not even fight a boss. Seems like they need to spend more time and thought on designing these.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread