I don't think Destiny is a fun universe (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 16:14 (3441 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 16:18

I think it does, otherwise you wouldn't assume that our "old" challenges are substantially different from our "new" challenges. Your language gives you away. Your perspective of history colors your perception of a genre of fiction. A fan of literary fiction could be just as dismissive of your preferred genre, and say it only pretends to be more realistic.

It has nothing to do with old vs new. Many old problems are yet unsolved, although many are. The problem is with the mindset that goes into each genre. It's a question of direction. Fantasy dwells on the misconceptions and stumblings of the past (superstition, outdated beliefs and traditions, etc), and in many cases celebrates them, actually impeding our progress as a species, whereas Sci-Fi typically revels in the advancement of humanity in the future.

This does not presuppose anything about tech level or space ships or any of that. There are many great works that are forward thinking in which the character is on a horse. They are mostly westerns, rather than fantasies though. I would say that yes, technology often IS at the center of Sci-Fi, only because these are the issues we will face in the coming years!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread