I don't think Destiny is a fun universe (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 17:21 (3440 days ago) @ ZackDark

Heh, I guess you could think that way too about what I'm thinking.

I was under the impression he considered Sci-Fi as something that inherently thinks forward, no matter how technologically advanced the story actually is.

I had the exact same impression. I was never talking about technology, though. I'll be more explicit. Phrases like "forward-thinking" have connotations I'd rather not unpack here, but at the heart of the difference in perspective I was referring to is the difference in the extent to which one believes that humankind can be perfected. The struggles and challenges I referred to are inherent in the human experience (and I believe always have been), and good fantasy like all good literature is populated by characters who act in accordance with human nature; therefore, it's short-sighted to say that such characters are backward or forward. If they are portrayed believably as human beings (and that's not to say they can't be talking rabbits in the fiction) they can have something valuable to say now and 100 years from now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread