Did we miss an important detail? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 04, 2014, 04:47 (3454 days ago)

From the Bungie blog:

"Each week, Xûr will possess a selection of upgrades for existing Exotics in his inventory"

From what I've been reading here on the site, a lot of the reaction seems to be "great, now I've got to rush out and upgrade all my exotics to keep them useful".

I've already said that I think this reaction ignores the fact that we'll be chasing new, better gear. That's somewhat understandable; we can't chase that gear yet, so its "out of sight, out of mind." Everyone is focused on what we already have.

That aside, it sounds to me like we wouldn't be able to sink all of our time in to re-upgrading our all our exotics, even if we wanted to. Xur is only going to be offering a selection of specific upgrades each week. Unless you have a huge selection of exotics, he might not even offer upgrades for the weapons you want to rank up for several weeks.

Here's why this is a good thing: Right now, I've already decided I want to upgrade my Icebreaker. I use it constantly, it's my favorite weapon in the game. So of course I want to bring it up to max level.

Here's the thing: by the time I have the option to upgrade the Icebreaker, I will already have sunk significant time into the new content. I'll probably have several of the new weapons. Who knows, maybe I'll like one of them more than Icebreaker, and decide it isn't worth the upgrade after all.

So for everyone who's feeling ripped off or stressed out about the "need to re-upgrade all our exotics all over again", I'd suggest that you might be looking at this from the wrong angle. Bungie never expected us to want to bring all our exotics up the ladder with us. That's not the point. Our current exotics got us this far. The new exotics are for the future of the game. The exotic upgrade purchase is just an option to keep a select few of our old favorites with us as we move along.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread