So Is That SERIOUSLY It? *NSFW* (Gaming)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:23 (3398 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, January 08, 2015, 12:27

You can't hurt it just by opening it up, unless you do it in such a way the pieces fall out and you lose some, so I'd start by doing that, with the controller face-down, and seeing if anything looks wrong. For reference you can open up a working controller or just do an image or video search.
You'll want to touch a large metal object to get rid of static electricity before you touch anything inside. Buttons can get misaligned, components can slip, and crumbs can get into things, and those are fairly easy to fix. If you know how to solder (and have the equipment) you can reattach electrical parts that have come loose. Occasionally a piece of plastic will break and you should be fine fixing it with superglue. Past that, I'm sure there are guides on fixing them, but I don't have any handy, and I don't know anyone that fixes controllers. If the problem is an analog stick, unless it's got crumbs in it, the problem is probably beyond a realistic fix. (I've come to accept my sticks will click after I've had a controller for a while.)
360 controllers have come down a good bit from $60, if it's just a matter of a price change, although they're still over half that unless you get lucky. I get being attached to a controller, but if you have several you really like and most of them work I don't know why you're focused on one particular broken one. Anyway good luck whichever way you go.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread