Deadhold, the reincarnation of Myth (Gaming)

by Fuertisimo, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:59 (3322 days ago) @ Kermit

I first played Marathon 2 at a friends house who had a powermac. It was love at first play.

At home I had a Macintosh 2CI, boasting an impressive 25 MHZ processor. For most of the first year I played Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity on the absolute lowest possible graphics settings, managing to eek out a blistering 4 FPS on average.

Eventually my parents decided I could get a new computer (actually my dad just took an old one from work they were going to throw away and brought it home. He was an unbelievable cheapskate.)

My new computer? A quadra 840! WOW I thought! I can run the game at the absolute lowest possible graphics settings and get all the way up to 20 FPS sometimes! THIS IS AWESOME!!! What a difference the 40 MHZ processor makes! If I'm feeling bold or there isn't a lot on screen I can boost the resolution to 75%! I AM IN HEAVEN!

I couldn't actually properly play Marathon at my own house until the year 2000 when I finally got a powermac for Christmas.

The 2CI actually had trouble running pathways into darkness as I recall, but the quadra could handle it.

Those were the days, I tell you, those were the days. Forge was a real bitch on the 2CI too, polygons would take like, 2 seconds to fill lol.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread