That fourth one on network architecture is mind-boggling (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 16:09 (3274 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I still feel like Patrol mode is the thing in Destiny with the most untapped potential. At this point, the small size of the zones and relative sparsity of public events really hurts the experience. Imagine if Old Russia, exactly as it is, with the same public event schedules and locations, was only partitioned into 3 or 4 zones. You could detect public events from much farther away, each "zone" would be home to events more frequently, and you'd have more players drawn to each event from greater distances.

That alone would help a lot, IMO.

(For context: the "zones" I refer to below are things like the Divide, Rocket yard, Steppes, Etc. )

But the way patrol zones are currently set up (from their description, and my interpretation of it), what you're asking for isn't possible. Technically, the only thing linking patrol zones together is the actual geometry you see, locally loaded on your console. Server-side, each of those zones is running on an independent mini-version of the Destiny Executable, and they don't interact with each other. When your fireteam moves toward a new zone, you send that request to the matchmaking server, which tries to find an instance of the particular zone already running and match-make you into it.

We're not going to see any major improvements unless they change this- and the architecture would become even more complex if they did. If that happens, it'll be a Destiny 2 thing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread