Travel

by yakaman, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 15:03 (4040 days ago) @ biggy

I just want to get in my cool ship and fly right into the action with my crew.

Maybe you fast tavel (warp) to certain sectors or points of interest (planet, moon, space station) and those sectors have expansive areas to explore via spaceship or pike. I don't think fast travel or ways of quickly meeting up with friends should be eliminated, but why have a badass spaceship or hover bike if you can't use it...

Would they ever make travel time a real thing? Would there be playable content way out there? How many people would actually go if that's what it took? Can I elect to fly my ship to another galaxy even though I'd never get there? The solar system is an awesome way to have borders without borders (think Silent Cartographer island).

Let's just say that with the basic ship it'll take 16 hours of real time to get to Pluto. But then, what if I dedicated all my assets to upgrading my ship so that I could fly you there in 15 minutes...would people pay me to bring them out there?

Eh, I guess that really doesn't work - what the hell would you be doing while I flew you there...offline? Staring at a bulkhead? But the basic idea is a bit intriguing as a way to "soft-barrier" more difficult areas, and to keep the "what the hell else is out there" sort of wonder.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread