Destiny Podcast Version 0

by Miguel Chavez, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 08:04 (4002 days ago) @ Kermit

I hear that. I'm sure there will be some interesting backstory to this whole piece. I'd wager that Bungie found themselves in an all too familiar situation, pressured to make a public entrance at a point where they weren't quite ready, and simply made a tough call: to repeat past mistakes by spending valuable resources on producing a dishonest bombshell demonstration, or gather genuine materials from their current build and just show the world a bit of what they're actually working on. I guess time will tell.

Right. The game industry has grown and gotten more competitive since 1999. I think that as Bungie has gotten more ambitious, they've gotten more cautious, too, at least in terms of setting expectations. They're avoiding setting a trap for themselves.

Which is a shanda.

A related point: I get this feeling that one goal for the mature Bungie is smart project management. Specifically, figuring out how to achieve their visions while retaining and not crushing the souls of the talented people they've attracted, in part by allowing them to have lives outside of their work. That's quite the hat trick in an industry that's infamous for grueling schedules.

I would love to see evidence of any of that. It is a great goal, I just don't think I've ever seen it mentioned even in passing. But maybe what you mean is mature=older and so yah as Bungie themselves gets older (the folks in the upper circles being parents and just older in general) then their sensibilities trickle down to the rest of the company's vision.

Don't tell Activision that. ;-)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread