Size doesn't always matter (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, June 19, 2015, 18:44 (3266 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

You said CUTTING EDGE, not a full game. I stated how CUTTING EDGE features can be made by a few people.

Note that Indie games come out that are made by a few people and they have some cool features.

I totally agree with this, but I would add that most of the smaller games that ship with 1 or 2 cool (even groundbreaking) features are usually rough, generally lacking in polish, and often filled with poor design choices.

My favorite recent example is Super Time Force. A game that got nothing but love from the press because of its novel "rewind" mechanic and retro "charm" (don't get me started on that point lol). Yet when you look past those points, it is what I consider to be a fairly poor side-scrolling shooter. The shooter mechanics and movement lack the precision that make those kinds of games enjoyable for me. Not only that, but the primary "rewind" mechanic actually removes all sense of personal progression or improvement. You don't need to get better to clear a level, you just need to fail over and over and over until their are enough "copies" of your character running around to clear the level or beat the boss.

This is just 1 example, but I feel it is fairly representative of the state of smaller games these days.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread