Healthy fun is something to admire

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 00:11 (3975 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I may be a little soulless, but forgive for being the devil's advocate here for a sec. I truly hope I don't come across as harassing, because I would never want to do that to anyone.

At what point does what you explain above become too much or go too far? This line

some just want to have a richer experience out of the universe they hold so dear

I think was pretty great, and it makes me think of dressing up for cons or being part of a community like our awesome one right here! IMHO, that is healthy fun.

But you also said

Many know that they'll never be an Astronaut, a Marine, a heroic leader or even live as the gender they desire to be or openly love who they wish. Video games offer the the ability to do so - to live out their dreams.

I may have a difficult time explaining why, but this just doesn't feel right to me, and it leaves me feeling a bit sad.

I think one's dreams should be lived out in real life, along with all of real life's stuggles and difficulties, as well as joys and surprises. Video games are just that, games. Can they provide inspiration, encouragement, joy, experiences that are impossible to experience? Abso-freaking-lutely, and I think that insofar as those inspirations, encouragement, joys, and experiences help us in living a better real life and connecting better with real people, games are awesome and healthy.

But, there is such a thing as too much; and I believe "too much" happens when games and the universes and the easy escape they provide are used as a preferred alternative to real life. When you live more in a game world than you do in the real world, whether that be time-wise, emotional investment-wise, social engagement-wise, money-wise, whatever, I think that is too much and unhealthy.

Now, if you didn't intend all this by what you said, Grizzlei, then please disregard my devil's advocacy :)

With regards to spooky6's question, I think it really depends. Insofar as "true role playing" is done purely for fun, kind of like an actor playing a part, that can be really great and enjoyable for not only the person role playing, but the people they come across who understand that they are role playing (playing be the key word.) I'm pretty sure I would enjoy interacting with such a person. As long as they "keep it clean!" ;)

However, when it is done as a way of living, when the role is taken too seriously, when the game is no longer a game to that person, I think that is unhealthy. I would feel sad coming across a person like that, or if I ever reached that point myself (I may have reached it at times in the past, or been close to reaching it, and it is not an enjoyable place to be in.)

Good question, spooky6, and thanks for reading!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread