Role playing in the RPG..

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 14:18 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm a little cofused here dude. First you said

I'm very curious, because moral choice in games for me seems like a stupid thing, since moral choices in games aren't really moral choices at all.

to Jillybean. Then you said

I gotta say, I'm one of those people who doesn't understand that sort of choice. To me, Role Playing is sort of based on regret. It's based on regret, because you want to imagine yourself as another person in another place, and that means you don't want to be where you are right now or who you are right now, or else you'd be yourself and doing whatever you want.

What if the "moral choices" a person makes in a game are how they play as themselves? I don't normally act like a jerk (at least I try not to), so I don't act that way in a game. I just don't really have any desire to. It's not that I'm making a moral choice when I do that, since I agree with you that they are just pixels on a screen (with regards to all the NPC's and environment at least); I'm just being myself while I play.

Also, I think Levi had an awesome point about good role playing being akin to a child's game of pretend. And, Batman.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread