Role playing in the RPG..

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 17, 2013, 17:28 (3973 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is why I'm so 'jaded' when it comes to games. If I only live once, and that time is limited, why would I spend it playing anything but the absolute best?

I think I understand where you're coming from with this, and I really respect your decision to not waste your life just playing video games.

But I don't see how only playing "the absolute best" games, when you do play games, is going to make your life any better. I don't think it is so much what you do that makes your life good, but why and how you do whatever you do. So looking at gaming, I try to play games more during my downtime and as a chance to relax and enjoy a cool story/universe/play experience, or to spend some time with distant friends. Relaxation is kind of a necessity, and experiencing different stories and worlds, whether through books, TV, or games, is, for me, one of the joys of life. Spending time with friends is another huge joy of life for me.

I'm getting a little sidetracked. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't so much judge games by whether they are objectively "the absolute best" or not, but whether you, Cody Miller, genuinely enjoy them or not. It could have some strange or bad mechanics, or a less than stellar plotline, or aggravating characters, but if there is just something about it that you enjoy, why not continue playing it?

Now, if by "the absolute best" you mean a game that you personally enjoy more than any other, then by all means, I say continue with your current mindset.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread