Role playing in the RPG..

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 20:37 (3972 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Also, whenever someone justifies something life-threatening and dumb with "You Only Live Once" I can't help but think they have it backwards. If you only live once, why waste it on something dumb?

This is why I'm so 'jaded' when it comes to games. If I only live once, and that time is limited, why would I spend it playing anything but the absolute best?

I feel as though this dilemma can only be made harder in that games are not objectively good or bad, more game or less. They all have qualities that make their experiences more or less enjoyable or intense, but it's all relative.

I know Transformers Fall of Cybertron is nowhere near the best game of all time or even of the year, but my life would be less enjoyable if I had never experienced it. They did right by Transformers fans like me, so I enjoyed it and it has a special place in my heart, but that doesn't make it great or the best. While I agree playing better games will make more enjoyment of gaming, It's not a cookie cutter solution. Fallout 3 is one of the highest hailed games of this generation, but I just couldn't play it for more than 10 hours without quitting. I just didn't enjoy it very much. Maybe I can give it another try and enjoy it, but that won't change that games are not inherently good or bad. It's betting that others will have a comparable experience to yours and relate to your shared enjoyment or lack of enjoyment.

Hell, you can even think something is amazing and probably the best there is and still not enjoy it as much, or for as much time, as something worse. My 'favorite' games or movies don't line up all that well with my 'best'. You can find enjoyment and enlightenment in the most surprising of places.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread