Healthy fun is something to admire

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 00:37 (3975 days ago) @ Mr Daax

But you also said

Many know that they'll never be an Astronaut, a Marine, a heroic leader or even live as the gender they desire to be or openly love who they wish. Video games offer the the ability to do so - to live out their dreams.

I may have a difficult time explaining why, but this just doesn't feel right to me, and it leaves me feeling a bit sad.

As it does for me, of course. Allow me to explain shortly.

I think one's dreams should be lived out in real life, along with all of real life's stuggles and difficulties, as well as joys and surprises. Video games are just that, games. Can they provide inspiration, encouragement, joy, experiences that are impossible to experience? Abso-freaking-lutely, and I think that insofar as those inspirations, encouragement, joys, and experiences help us in living a better real life and connecting better with real people, games are awesome and healthy.

But, there is such a thing as too much; and I believe "too much" happens when games and the universes and the easy escape they provide are used as a preferred alternative to real life. When you live more in a game world than you do in the real world, whether that be time-wise, emotional investment-wise, social engagement-wise, money-wise, whatever, I think that is too much and unhealthy.

I too believe that such experiences and dreams should occur in real life. They owe themselves the happiness they deserve. But that's not always the case. Not everyone has the same luxury.

Choices that a person has made in their past, whether it concern their education or reputation, have detrimental consequences on their dreams. Concerning gender, sexuality, and other unique traits, many do not enjoy the right circumstances to change anything. This may be because of where they live, their family and friends, or they feel trapped for whatever reason. Ultimately, they give up hope. That's where escapism flourishes as a blessing. When your life outside the comfort of home is detrimental to your mental and physical health, you seek anything to give you a tear or smile.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread