So here's the interesting thing... (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, February 12, 2016, 15:55 (3003 days ago) @ dogcow

My "Best" and "Worst" case scenarios are almost exactly as you just suggested, but 100% reversed.

So either one of us will be very happy and the other will be very disappointed, or Destiny 2 will be some sort of compromise in the middle.

I guess I feel fairly positive about either way. I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if my 'worst case' scenario is what ended up happening. I can certainly imagine WORSE things happening, but I just don't believe they would.

Also, I see lots of benefits with my best case scenario. One is that we would have a larger # of strikes and PvP maps available for the various playlists.

I'm a bit torn on this... Lately I've been wondering if I wish Bungie had just gone full MMO with Destiny in terms of monetization, content generation, and release schedules (don't freak out, Cody... I do NOT want typical MMO farming/fetch-quest activities).

I think I would be perfectly happy to pay $10 or $15 per month to play Destiny if we got the same kinds of regular content updates that WOW gets; significant, world-changing updates with boatloads of new activities. I'd be happy to pay another $40-$60 once every year or two, in addition to the monthly fee, for major expansions that add whole new locations, factions, enemy types, and large chunks of story content. I'd be happy to have Destiny exist as a game that keeps growing and growing without ever needing to reset or start us back at level 1.

Maybe this is because I've never actually played an MMO, so I don't have the same love/hate relationship with the idea that many WOW players have developed over the years. Or maybe it's because I don't find Destiny's combat to be very enjoyable until the upper levels, when my character's ability tree is fully unlocked and I have access to a wide array of gear. The idea of starting over from scratch is not exciting or appealing to me.

Beyond that stuff, there's a big part of me that looks at what we have right now and still sees so much unrealized potential. There is SO MUCH that can still be done with the cosmodrome, mars, venus, the moon... I guess I'm still waiting for Bungie to add something to the game we're playing right now that lives up to the amazing scenarios that ran through my imagination as I explored all these locations for the first time. I feel like it would be a bit of a shame to leave them behind so underutilized.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread