19 months in, I'm still skeptical of Destiny's 3-gun system. (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 26, 2016, 15:18 (2932 days ago)

Bungie has gone through a lot of iterations regarding special ammo since Destiny launched, and even more regarding how "special weapons" function, in terms of their lethality in the Crucible.

And I can't help but feel like it's because Bungie is trying to fit these weapons into a roll that they weren't designed for in the first place.

With the exception of sidearms (which are an anomaly), Special weapons serve as 1-Hit-Kill tools in the correct situations. The chief issue is, at one point or another throughout Destiny's lifespan, players have figured out how to abuse the power of these weapons by broadening the 1HK situations to cover engagements which were outside what was intended by the designers.

And it makes for a very frustrating game.

I'm not sure how Bungie drew the line between "Heavy" weapons and "special" weapons. They're all power weapons with varying strengths and weaknesses. And they all have situations where they can out-gun their counterparts.

Perhaps this is nostalgia speaking, but I feel like the sandbox designers for Halo understood this. The only gametypes that had you starting with "power" weapons were novelty weapon-specific gametypes where everyone used 1-2 specific weapons and ONLY those weapons.

The argument could be made that these weapons are more suited to Destiny because the Time-to-kill with "primary" weapons is lower, but time-to-kill is it's own beast that I'm not trying to cover here.

So my question is for you all is this: which of the following systems would you most like to see used in Des2ny?

After thinking about it a little, I'd really like to see how options 2 or 4 would play out.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread