Destiny as an MMO?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 15:06 (3918 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I always wondered why they would choose to tell the story of destiny with an MMO (it is guys)

I still disagree with this idea quite a bit. The more I read about the game I actually agree with their idea of calling it "shared world" more than calling it an MMO for one major reason: the normal structure of an MMO is that you start in a public world and when you go on quests you enter a private space. In Destiny from what they have revealed you start in a private space when you enter the playspace and then occasionally enter (very limited) public spaces when you encounter a public event. These two structures look very similar but they are almost opposite structures from each other. Not to mention because of matchmaking you can't just go to the same space as another player and expect to see them, which you CAN do in an MMO as long as you are on the same server. With these points alone it is easy to see why Bungie doesn't consider it an MMO, and I agree with them.

The closest Destiny resembles to an MMO is Phantasy Star Online, which has long been argued that's it's not really an MMO.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread