ITT: Cody undercuts his central argument against Destiny

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, August 09, 2013, 14:59 (3916 days ago) @ electricpirate

Absolutely, that's the point that I'm having so much fun making here. Cody seems to think the player powering up systems in Destiny are the latter. Why? He seems to have trouble with that part. I'm prodding him to actual explain that position, because his defenses of it so far have been very poor.

I don't know for sure, since nobody knows what Destiny really is. That being said:

There is a difference between leveling up / advancing a character to make the game easier vs doing the same to make the game harder or more complex.

Think of it this way. You level up in a JRPG or Diablo or something. You are more powerful, so the game becomes easier. You can kill enemies you couldn't before. This doesn't make the game more complex.

Leveling up in Deus Ex on the other hand, DOES make the game more complex, because the designers made this cool world which you could tackle in many different way with many different skill and augmentation combinations, each enabling a very different experience.

Think of it this way:

Bad: You should always level up, since there's no downside and it can only help. You can always level up more if you put in time to gain exp.
Good: Leveling up has tradeoffs or is a strategic decision. Only a set amount of exp that's the same for all players (roughly), so do with it what you wish.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread