ITT: Cody undercuts his central argument against Destiny

by electricpirate @, Friday, August 09, 2013, 11:46 (3916 days ago) @ yakaman

The devil is in the details. The statement Powering Up Character != Player Investment might be better stated as Powering Up Character should not be meaningless Player Investment.

Absolutely, that's the point that I'm having so much fun making here. Cody seems to think the player powering up systems in Destiny are the latter. Why? He seems to have trouble with that part. I'm prodding him to actual explain that position, because his defenses of it so far have been very poor.

I believe Cody's opinion in a nuanced one. It is hard to specifically define the border between meaningful character growth and skinner-box investment, but I know it when I see it. I think we all do on some level.

I'd like to believe that too, in fact I'm sure he has some deeper thoughts on it,but judging from what he's written, his arguments are full of holes, and self defeating logic.

Cody has maintained that no good can come from player investment systems, but he's presenting a really compelling argument for why they can be used (IE, modifying character player to draw them deeper into the story)

It seems to me that Cody has been saying essentially the same thing all along...Bungie, please deliver a game I'll enjoy. Do whatever you're going to do, but please get it right.

I'd disagree here, I feel like he's rooting for failure. Like he would prefer Destiny to not work to vindicate his views. That's the feeling I get more from his postings. That combined with the fact that his arguments aren't very good, but well written, which is why I enjoy replying to him ;).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread