Going OT now, but... (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, May 25, 2017, 17:52 (2499 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm totally with you on some of those features (I share your worry that we'll never see films, but if we do, oh boy!). I heard directly from Bungie guys on launch day that D1 was like the first Halo, which didn't come with all that many options compared to its final iteration. Much also depends on what you call options. At this point it's apples and oranges to me. I'd love for Destiny to have an immersive story like the Halos. On the other hand, I don't know how Halo could've provided the experiences I've had in Destiny, not just in the group activities but also in the game world opening up the way it did, especially with TTK. Most aspects of a Halo game, except for the most esoteric, would have been uncovered within six months of release. My biggest hope for D2 is that Bungie gets closer to that living, evolving world they've been talking about from the start.

I'm with you for the most part. I hope it makes steps in that direction, but I don't think we'll see a Halo style campaign in Destiny. The game just doesn't seem to be built that way. I'm mostly okay with it--Destiny outpaces Halo in many other areas.

I'm talking mainly PvP, though. I really long for Halo style custom games, with all sorts of crazy options. I'm thinking of Zombies and Warthog jousting and FAE and all the other dumb custom game stuff. I think Destiny PvP is alright on its own terms. It's just not something I want to play that often. But if it had more custom game options that could allow Halo 2 style shenanigans, I'd play it much more. If that's not what Bungie wants, I guess that's fine. I'm just not sure what they're gaining by not providing those sorts of options, and, as I said, it feels like a huge step back from a game that's nearly 15 years old now. Apples and oranges, you're right, but it still feels like an obvious comparison that doesn't land on Destiny's side.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread