Raid Lairs - I hate inventing a word to describe something (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 21:00 (2366 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Okay, so I just watched the stream, and I gotta say that the article did a really good job of summing up what they said about the raid lair, which was not very much (the earlier stuff was really, really cool though - man I want to talk about that, but not in this branch, since it's on the terminology). Seriously I did not need to watch that stream; it carried no additional info about the scope or scale of the Raid Lair, nor did it address why Bungie is suddenly using this new term. As it turns out, the linked article was totally informative when it comes to passing along everything we know about the Raid Lair, and I still stand by my original concerns regarding hyped activities of nebulous terminology.

Past experience has, sadly, taught me that Bungie is capable of misleading through omission, especially when they make up new terms.

Korny summed up some excellent examples from D2 in his post above.

Compare to Rise of Iron, which I felt handled the pre-order hype quite well:

- Pre-order and you'll get a Black Gjallerhorn! Literally that.

- Pre-order and get a Gjallerwing Sparrow (and they then show a video of the sparrow, which was exactly what you got).

That was great. They showed us exactly what we were going to get and fully met the expectations. There was no dance around the words. So having seen what forthright Bungie looks like, and what deceptive by omission Bungie looks like, "Raid Lair" has all of the stink of the latter.

My concerns are about this mode of communication, far more than they are about what was actually shown. The impression of the stream is that this is going to take about half as much time as the Leviathan Raid, which is a pretty good amount of content which will still take experienced players 30 minutes to an hour to complete. I'd be very happy with that. But the use of a new term, dancing around technically not calling it a "raid" per se but insisting it has "raid content" - it's sketchy as hell and I, for one, am greatly tempering my expectations as a result.

On a heartening note, it seems the next stream will reveal a lot more about the raid, so I'm hoping everything is cleared up then.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread