What the heck guys!? Obviously it's... (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, November 20, 2017, 22:15 (2361 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by RaichuKFM, Monday, November 20, 2017, 22:21

All of those sound a bit worse, honestly? (And the one with the dot a lot worse. All the build-up leading to the payoff with the pyramid ships is really important, I think; it wouldn't have the same punch if they weren't such a surprise. It was honestly one of my favorite moments in the game? Granted, I've been on the site for long enough to have seen the GDC panel where the concept art for a fifth race was shown off, so that did a lot of the build-up for me, but still.) It's a personal preference thing, of course, but, they just seem less impressive. I think the visual they went with was really cool, and cinematic, in a way that a flash wouldn't be as much. And an animatic could be interesting, but not as gorgeous, and it I think wouldn't serve the purpose as well.

I don't understand this assumption the the Light clearly traveled instantaneously. In fact, that seems directly contrary to the start of the cutscene with Ghaul?

And the more I watch it, the less the speed seems at all strange?

It's accelerating, spreading 'slowly' over progressively larger and larger distances. We see it hit the ships, and, as far as I can tell, it goes over them pretty much instantly, with an effect lingering for a few moments. Or maybe it finally started slowing down, between expanding out of the Milky Way and reaching the triangles in dark space.

No, the light emitted by the Traveler waking up wouldn't travel as fast as the Light would. Unless it doing so was also part of the whole Light thing, I suppose. Putting that aside, it wouldn't have to? All the pyramid ships would need to detect would be the Light washing over them. And the light produced could be a series of waves created by the Light traveling over matter (as has been proposed by someone I in turn forgot), or maybe the light behaved entirely normally and the Light didn't make any more light. And we were just watching the Light spread, artistically represented as light, because duh. It's not like this was ostensibly a home video camera we were looking through, or anything?

I'm not trying to deny you your right to find it bothersome,

I guess I just find it weird to throw our hands into the air and go 'This doesn't make sense', and then argue about whether or not that's a bad thing, when we can make it make sense?

I'm actually like horrifically bad at judging the relative speeds of the bubble expansions and stuff, so I might be missing something with the speeds, and for whatever reason you find my 'Maybe the camera is showing us different rates for effect' idea absurd, but it just doesn't seem inexplicable to me.

(Although the size of the Traveler is pretty unambiguously, unsalvageably exaggeration, so, there's that. I vaguely remember that basically always being the case, but I can't think of any example.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread