Curse of Osiris is looking good! (Destiny)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, November 16, 2017, 15:18 (2365 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Deliberate visual communication in a way that will be generally understood is more important in storytelling than having totally accurate relative dimensions.

Wrong.

Not that I'm saying it's the other way around, or that they're both equally important, or anything like that.

You just can't construct any equation or inequality here.

To do so requires an absolute truth about quality we don't have, and a context that doesn't exist in a blanket statement.

"But sci-fi fans care about consistency", and "But they're a very small niche" both fail, because they're trying to make a blanket statement that doesn't work.

Now if you want to state a personal preference, or talk about what would best appeal to a particular niche, that's fine, but without supplying that you're just stating an opinion as fact, whether you meant to or not.

I, personally, am a fan of science fiction and a nerd who likes to work things out, but I focus more on systems of causality and physics; I forget if I noticed the Traveler being larger than it should have been, but I know it didn't bother me. I think it was a completely valid instance of artistic license; but I don't know what proportion of the Destiny audience thought as much, versus what portion thought it was bothersome, versus what portion didn't notice it, or how you could best weight them against each other.

But it just feels like this conversation isn't about those considerations, but rather about some arbitrary maxim that it is supposedly correct for a story to follow, and that it is necessarily more important than consistency.

And that rubs me the wrong way?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread