New Tomb Raider games are easily the third best game series. (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 13:37 (2243 days ago) @ Korny

So I just don’t think it’s accurate to tell someone to play Uncharted and/or HZD instead of Tomb Raider, because TR is a very different experience than either of those other games. Plus, it’s possibly the very best version of a modern Metroid-y game that exists.

I didn't tell him to play those instead, just that he should if he considers Tomb Raider one of the "top three game series". It means that he's clearly missing out on easily superior games/franchises (and that's without mentioning something like The Witcher, Dead Space (How's that for Metroid-y?), or Mass Effect).

That said, I played through not just the main RotTR campaign, but every bit of DLC for it, and pretty much everything (except the excellent Baba Yaga DLC) felt like a half-baked and tacked-on experience, and that's without even getting to the microtransaction-based card system. I'm pretty sure I Platinum'd the game, though, so I'm not saying that it was bad, per se, just extremely disappointing after the first game did everything so well. Plus, they butchered Lara's character. She went from determined and increasingly fierce in the first game, to being whiny and having a furrowed brow while she said practically anything. Only a few scenes had some of that "Tomb Raider Lara" from the first game.

Yeah I’m not a particularly big fan of RotTR. There’s lots of great stuff in the game, but that’s because they were coming from an exceptional starting point with the previous game. I don’t think there’s anything about RotTR that was an improvement over TR... everything in the game was on par at best, or a in most cases, a step down to one degree or another.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread