New Tomb Raider games are easily the third best game series. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 14:32 (2243 days ago) @ Harmanimus
edited by Korny, Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 14:36

I would have to disagree with all three of your examples as being “better series or franchises.” Tempered that they all have really, really strong aspects to them they aren’t without huge missteps. Dead Space, specifically, had one great game and some passable money-chasing offerings.

Whoah, to say that Dead Space 2 was a "money-chasing offering" is to do a pretty huge disservice to a sequel that did everything a good sequel should. It was bigger, it expanded the gameplay and enemy roster, it explored the world more, and the gameplay itself had waaaaaay less backtracking than the first game, opting for more unique locales and setpieces. I love the first Dead Space (played it religiously, Altman be praised), but even I concede that Dead Space 2 is technically superior on pretty much every level except for horror atmosphere (unless you play it on Hard Core, which caused me so much stress at every single corner).
Sure, the third game was a bit of a letdown, coming off of two amazing games, but it was a great co-op experience.

Even Dead Space: Extraction was a great entry in the Franchise, and that was a rail-shooter.

The Ben Templesmith comics are the only other aspect of the property I would hold up to the level of the first game.

+1 for Templesmith. His art style alone inherently nails the Dead Space atmosphere...

As game series go, I think the quality of the overall packages from TR13 and RotTR are far away better than the overall packages (with exceptions) of most recent series. Obviously, ymmv if you are looking at a specific feature of games where other series excel at the expense of provided a robust experience. And I am definitely looking forward to what Shadow brings to the table. Though as said RotTR had big boots to fill, I don’t think it faultered nearly as much as DS or ME and started on a much higher note than tW.

Maybe, although the same could be said of the Uncharted series, which has always had meh-to-pretty okay controls and gunplay, but nails pretty much everything else, and is a series that has consistently only ever gotten better (as much as people like to hail Uncharted 2 as the series' magnum opus). The overall package totally excuses the often-mediocre gunplay.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread