New Tomb Raider games are easily the third best game series. (Gaming)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 15:10 (2243 days ago) @ Korny

Daed Soace 2 was technically more proficient, and added content as anticipated. But the encounter deisgn, weapon character, and balance between build and pay off were distinctly not improvements in DS2. It loses most of what made Dead Space good as an overall package. Added stress and simplified combat doesn’t really make up for gutting most of the actual horror atmosphere. The tension in DS2 is cheap and shock. Extraction may have been a good rail shooter, but I wouldn’t consider it a great Dead Space game. (Just to illustrate more clearly where I am coming from [hopefully])

Re: Uncharted, I don’t think that the overall experiences makes up for the weak end of it’s core action experience. I know that this is not the popular opinion. But Uncharted games have never been all that fun to play. The core loop is disappointing, and I don’t think the characters/story/set pieces/etc. make up for it in a way that doesn’t reduce the overall experience. Spec Ops: The Line is a good example of a game that does a lot of things well but has shitty gameplay (by design the gameplay is middling to not detract from the narrative) that does bring down the complete experience.

I mean, I don’t agree with the prior top 3 list. Mostly I think new!TR is a much better overall experience than it iften gets credit for.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread