New Tomb Raider games are easily the third best game series. (Gaming)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, March 14, 2018, 14:06 (2243 days ago) @ Korny

I would have to disagree with all three of your examples as being “better series or franchises.” Tempered that they all have really, really strong aspects to them they aren’t without huge missteps. Dead Space, specifically, had one great game and some passable money-chasing offerings. The Ben Templesmith comics are the only other aspect of the property I would hold up to the level of the first game. I have less to say regarding The Witcher, but I wasn’t particularly impressed for their first two outings. My feelings on Mass Effect are probably more aptly treated as a bomb ready to go off. ME specifically tends to have most of its flaws as a series overlooked for the level of investment players have input.

As game series go, I think the quality of the overall packages from TR13 and RotTR are far away better than the overall packages (with exceptions) of most recent series. Obviously, ymmv if you are looking at a specific feature of games where other series excel at the expense of provided a robust experience. And I am definitely looking forward to what Shadow brings to the table. Though as said RotTR had big boots to fill, I don’t think it faultered nearly as much as DS or ME and started on a much higher note than tW.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread