I hate to do this, but I've got to be negative for a second. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, November 01, 2023, 12:23 (178 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Alright, so Marathon is clearly the Next Big Thing (TM) for Bungie. It is receiving the lion's share of the company's attention and resources internally and is being funded by the revenue stream from Destiny 2. That revenue stream is now failing to meet expectations, which is threatening the future growth potential of the entire company, so something has to change.

This is something Bungie has never been able to figure out. All through their history up until recently, they have basically been a one game studio. Attempts to go multi-game were always failures. If the Oni team had not gone to Halo, then Halo would never have materialized. Alex himself had to fly to San Jose and help the Oni team out by placing lights and objects in the map editors. It was a skin of their teeth situation.

Phoenix was killed. Gypsum was killed. All because the main games needed the attention.

Bungie has never really figured out how to be a multi-game studio. And now, they are trying to do THREE. Destiny, Marathon, Matter, and maybe other things too.

I feel like all through Bungie's history, they've always been on the razor's edge. They've pulled it off, but usually it's down to the wire. Most of the people there who could pull it out are gone.

I'm going to check back in six months. If things are still shitty and dire, THEN we can talk about the end of Bungie. But, maybe they'll do what they've always managed to do, and land the plane that's on fire.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread