Oh please let this be April Fools Day +10 (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 09:40 (3655 days ago) @ kapowaz

I don't agree that's inflammatory — that's just pointing out a simple fact. If you are labouring under the impression that nobody could have predicted this, when in actual fact a number of people thought there were problems and made that clear a long time ago then that's more or less the definition of being deluded.

Hmm? I never said no one could predict this; people can predict anything. I'm saying that the people who are shocked by today's news because their views did not align with your prophecies are not deluded. And while you may not have intended it to be inflammatory, that does not mean a comment cannot come across that way. Just generalizing a forum, forgoing all the individuals with their own unique opinions, tends to be inflammatory alone for me.

I don't think there's any need for characterising yours or the wider forum-goer that way though; that's just a means of seeking to appear injured when you weren't the specific target of a remark. I don't think most people here are deluded, although I do think that a lot of DBO regulars have a rose-tinted view of Bungie, based on their favourable experiences in the past, that prevents them seeing harsh truths right in front of them.

I was not seeking to appear injured. It only appeared that way because I was offended. While I might not have been a "specific target" of your remark, your generalizations cast a wide net.

My own cynical generalizations lean the other way from yours. For me, most of these forums seem full of constant complaints and criticisms of Bungie - so much to the fact, some days I have no interest in coming here and it feels like some people have the opposite-of-rose-tinted glasses, heh. :)

In any case, it wasn't my tone that people were responding to in the last thread I participated in before deciding my time was better spent elsewhere — it was a common occurrence of point-by-point fisking, where people seek to appear correct regardless of whether it's important in the bigger picture. In my experience, if you don't like somebody's tone, you seek to avoid them.

Indeed, many were not responding directly to your tone. What I'm trying to say, which is what I tried to says then as well, is that I believe your tone is part of the spark, the reason, you incite a negative response to your criticism. I think your bulletin points, with a different tone, would generate a much different kind of discussion.

Anyway, I don't think this is going anywhere productive, and based on Kermit's reply elsewhere I'm about as unwelcome as ever. Have fun.

I didn't enjoy this. :/

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread