There's no antagonist (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, October 21, 2014, 12:14 (3475 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot of this has to do with the setting, I think.

In Halo, you are very clearly told what is going on in the instruction manual. You get the basic facts about who you are and what your goals are.

You are Master Chief. Master of any weapon. Pilot of any vehicle. You are likely the last of your kind, after losing the battle, and fleeing to this ancient ring.

Right there, from the instruction manual, you have pretty much everything you need to know.

You don't know what this ring is, but you know the Covenant want it. Your mission is clear at this point: deny them that which they want.

Then the flood happens and your motivation changes, from wanting to save humanity, to saving everyone.

Pretty cool. There are bits that get built up and and explored upon in other places.

Destiny doesn't feel like that, and it doesn't have an instruction manual. You've gotta figure, the average consumer isn't checking Bungie.net for concept work. They're not checking the weekly updates. They're not going to gaming sites. All they know of Destiny is what they saw in the 30 second TV commercial, and maybe their game stop rep. You start the game and it's "Hey, you we're dead, now your not, we gotta go, I can't tell you why" and it never gets any better. Even when you'd THINK there'd be time, Destiny doesn't have time for you.

But you're supposed to have time for Destiny?

IDK. I don't mind the hunt of some information and plot lines. That's actually fun, theorizing and filling in gaps, letting your imagination go. How it is now, is no fun. There's not enough info, and not enough reason to care.

I keep up with Halo because I like the story.

I keep up with Destiny because it's just fun.

I expect things to get better though. I'm just surprised with this first entry.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread