Timelines and Environments (Destiny)

by ckamp, Wednesday, October 22, 2014, 08:07 (3475 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Hmm. Bungie added stuff to the loot cave easily enough and can alter kill zones and buffer zones, but those are probably just updates to the world files that everyone has to share. I wonder if doing something like removing the crashed Jumpship from Old Russia after completing mission 3 or whatever would require a duplication of that entire section or maybe even the entirety of Old Russia?

That would be interesting and I'd be all for it, but it would come at the cost of new players experiencing the world as it was. Plus, playtesting would be hard.

I was thinking something more along the lines that if you were playing a level 2 mission and I was playing a level 6 strike, but we ran across eachother in the wild, we would actually have a different visual of the world. The same geometry might be there, but the visuals would reflect my actions that led to that point. Think Assault on the control room vs 2 betrayals. They used the same geometry (for the most part) but the visuals told a very different story. I don't know anything about implementing art in games, but it seems like this might be easier to do than altering the landscape and having to playtest that for bugs.

Am I in a dream-world, or would this type of thing be technically possible? Are playtests for new art assets harder than I imagine them right now?

You also got me thinking about chests and resources. Are they really randomly placed when you enter an area or are the areas just on big invisible timers and that spinmetal that appears by that truck does so from 6:30-6:45pm then from 7:15 -7:30pm and so on (game world time) for all 3.2 million players? It'd be neat to go into party chat with a few people then travel separately to the same part of a world to see if all the resources show up in the exact same spots...

I am also curious about this. I would love to understand the mechanics of the game-world's rules a bit better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread