This DLC policy is absurd and violates business ethics. (Destiny)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, December 12, 2014, 08:58 (3455 days ago) @ Monochron
edited by Vortech, Friday, December 12, 2014, 09:04

The new content is just part of the rotation.

Why should it be this way? What is stopping Bungie from having two different weeklys/dailys for different content holders?

Time. Time is a finite resource, even from a company with many people. Saying yes to one feature means saying no to other features. And some festures also introduce a ongoing maintenance cost. So the question is not why they did not do this but instead why they should do this instead of implementing some other feature. You can, of course, argue for your favorite feature, but this particular one is not only a feature that benefits only a sub-section of the players — and therefore must overwhelm the universal features by being that much better — but one that only benefits the people who do not pay for the ongoing maintenance of the game; one that the most supportive players literally would be unable to get any benefit from.

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it. It would be a classy and very nice move. But selfishly, I don't want them to do that instead of making the game better on a way that I would ever be technically able to even notice. And since you brought up business motives, I don't expect the expansion to bring benefits to people who don't buy it (even though I would be wrong because it already has in a couple ways — namely armor and level upgrades).

You see it as a diminution of the game because before you had access to 100% of the game and now you don't. I get that, but that's the nature of expansions. The daily and weekly always selected a portion of the game. You used to have access to all portions of the game but now there are new things you don't. From an equally true vantage, this feels worse only because there were no pay-walled areas at launch (imagine the outrage). The mechanism of the daily/weekly did not change.

I'm not without sympathy for the people who are enjoying the game less now, but I don't suffer the accusations of immorality. Anything sold for a cost — especially an upgrade to something —will leave some people behind. I see this as a hard fact of life in a capitalist system. No reason not to feel bad or not to be upset when it bites you but it's not an immoral act.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread