This DLC policy is absurd and violates business ethics. (Destiny)

by Monochron, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:35 (3454 days ago) @ Vortech

Why should it be this way? What is stopping Bungie from having two different weeklys/dailys for different content holders?

Time.

What you are getting at is the point I was trying to make. Bungie made the decision to shrink the game for players who don't pay up in order to work on other cool things. It is a priority choice that they made, but there is no hard bound keeping them from making the opposite decision.

but this particular one is not only a feature that benefits only a sub-section of the players.

I disagree with your use of the word "benefit" here. Implementing my idea "avoids harming" only a sub-section of the players. I'm not asking for a benefit, those who purchased DLC got a benefit, and rightly so. I just don't want everyone else to get actively harmed.

You see it as a diminution of the game because before you had access to 100% of the game and now you don't. I get that, but that's the nature of expansions.

If they nature of something is to harm a segment of your player base, perhaps you should take an alternate route. Like I said above, there is no hard and fast law that "expansions" have to work this way, it is a choice Bungie made in order to benefit those who pay money while still working on cooler stuff for everyone. I get the reasoning, I just think it was a bad decision.
Hell, the word is "expansion" not "reallocation".

I'm not without sympathy for the people who are enjoying the game less now, but I don't suffer the accusations of immorality. Anything sold for a cost — especially an upgrade to something —will leave some people behind. I see this as a hard fact of life in a capitalist system. No reason not to feel bad or not to be upset when it bites you but it's not an immoral act.

How about a bad analogy? In this capitalist system you go out and buy a sweet rocking chair, and the designer tells you that soon you can buy upgrades to the chair. That's awesome, you buy the crap out of it.
In a couple months the designer comes to your house and says, "The upgrades are available!" and you say, "Cool, I'll actually wait and see what other people think first". The designer says "Well, okay that's your choice. But I have to take the rockers from the chair from you. Don't worry, you can still sit in it, and it is still perfectly comfortable, it just won't rock anymore."
Legally you probably signed some document on purchase that had this buried in the fine print, but ethically, the designer is an asshole. Had the designer told you that he would be removing chunks occasionally if you refused to pay up, it would be a much more above-board deal.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread