Time to Kill in PvP and new Weapons in Expansions (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 16:21 (3275 days ago) @ red robber

Someone in an earlier thread suggested 3-5 second TTK, and I have to agree. You need time to react to being shot, find cover, and return fire. Right now I feel like "how did I die? Oh, okay, so there's a guy back there now. Great."

That's just bonkers, If I have to shoot a guy that much, I might have to reload to finish him off. Halo had such a slow TTK in comparison and I realize how much better it is to get the jump on a guy and because you positioned better, you will most likely win the battle.

My issue with this idea is that your placement relative to the enemy in Destiny (or most other competitive FPS) is rarely under your control. More often than not, if an enemy gets the drop on me its because they spawned behind me, or I spawned in front of them. How is that fun or fair?

The great thing about Halo's TTK was that it rewarded skilled players, while also encouraging longer gunfights, more back and forth. There were plenty of ways for skilled players to score lightning-quick kills. BR Headshots, grenades, assassinations, sniper headshots, and many more. But the shields & body-shot damage was scaled in such a way that you could absorb a couple hits without being hopelessly behind in the battle. With Destiny, surviving a duel is extremely rare when playing against remotely competent players. If I take my Hawkmoon up against a player using Thorn, I can often just barely finish him off before he is able to bring me down... but now I'm within an inch of death. Odds are very high that one of his teammates will find me before my shields recharge, meaning my death is all but guaranteed.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing. I've played an loved lots of equally punishing shooters. It just doesn't provide the same kind of fun I've come to expect from a Bungie competitive multiplayer game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread