And about music contributing to awesome moments (Off-Topic)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 20, 2015, 19:44 (3193 days ago) @ Funkmon

In my opinion, the music in Life is Strange is just additive. It's another layer on the game that makes it better. In the best musical moments in games, it's more than the sum of its parts, like Under Cover of Night, or even Breaking Benjamin in Halo 2, or the intros in Borderlands. Life Is Strange's music is just adequate to me.

I can't really argue against that point. Mainly, I just think it's that I really dig all the songs that have appeared in Life is Strange (especially that Message to Bears song. Message to Bears in general got me through a pretty rough point a few years back, and so it obviously plays off of those feelings as well, which clicked very well with what was going on when that song played).

I would argue that the music in something like Sword & Sworcery is way more powerful and a much bigger driving factor, as that game seems to really only exist to showcase the music in it. Hell, it's even called an EP. I'm not sure I'd have given that game more that four minutes if the music hadn't been immediately amazing.

One of the big standard mentions for great game music has always been Halo, and I won't disagree. Halo's music is incredible, and the way it syncs with the gameplay was really unique a the time. It absolutely made that game even more amazing than it already was. But I feel like Halo would have been a great experience even without that music, whereas I can't say the same thing for Sword & Sworcery (or Life is Strange, for that matter).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread