Thought Long About It...*Video Dump!* (Off-Topic)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, August 23, 2015, 03:42 (3190 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Morpheus, Sunday, August 23, 2015, 03:45

Over the past couple of days, I thought about this question, and tried to come up with specific favorites that could be accepted as universal (talking about a specific game, but applied to multiple other examples), in most cases I think I've done that successfully. Here we go:

5. Playing With the Language Filter Off--Bulletstorm.

I'm way too childish for my large frame, because no mature adult would find this enjoyable. These guys take swearing to a literal comic zenith. In its excess, just to begin with, is ridiculously over-the-top(which is right up my alley), but on top of that, they combine curse-words that end up not even making sense--just to get an extra gasping, oxygen-deprived cackle out of ya. (Favorites include: namby-pamby cocksucks, I will "kill your dicks", and "happy horse shit"). To this day, I can't consume anything while playing Bulletstorm, because within minutes it will go flying across the room. Damn shame that People Can Fly actually...couldn't fly, and a sequel never left the ground as hoped. But we'll always have Trishka and Gray sending your kids to bed early. REAL early. :-)

4. Perfecting the Izuna Drop For The First Time--Dead or Alive Series.

And let's be honest--unless you play this game 24/7, it'll be your ONLY time.

The Izuna Drop is a famous move from ninja lore, made even more famous by DOA alum Ryu Hayabusa. One of his signature moves, the Izuna Drop is quite possibly the hardest button combo ever in the entire series. However, it is extremely powerful, and does serious damage to an opponent's health. But again, back to the difficulty. Imagine your thumbstick in a clock position. Starting from 9, you must roll your thumbstick in a full semi-circle all the way to 3, then press your throw button(the wind-up). Ryu will launch his opponent in the air--during which--starting from 6, you have to swing up to 12(or maybe even 11 or 10), press the button again, and THEN do a full 12-12 clockwise circle while pressing throw. And all of that has to happen within 1.7 seconds.

It's frustrating having trouble with it. It's even more frustrating when it's the primary routine move for throws, and three of his six counter holds.

But when you finally nail it, and you hear his fierce scream as you spin in a fury of wind...the feeling is incredible. Go spinning off a cliff or doing it for the knockout, and your joy increases tenfold. That is why it's one of my favorite gaming moments.

(The preceding clips were done in Training Mode--staged.)

3. Theater Mode--Halo 3.

Although Bungie, and then later on, 343 Industries would screw it up in Reach and Halo 4 with their terrible 3rd person camera positions, Halo 3 was the perfect iteration of a feature that everyone wished their favorite game had. So many times across Halo's history, players were forced to describe their adventures and exploits orally and wish it could be shown instead. Since 2007, players have now been able to prove it, and chronicle their amazing moments in Halo 3, as long as they didn't turn off their Xbox. Or eject the disc. Or put in another game. Or play anything on the Xbox Live Arcade. Or play too many more recent games. Or accept your friend's invite. Or play with modded content. Or keep your FileShare current. Or save too many of anything. Or keep the file for too long. Or play the disc too much. Or lose your connection to Xbox Live. Or not buy two copies of each DLC pack.

And the Halo video scene began a Renaissance of glorious content from players around the world. Definitely one of the best things Bungie's ever come up with, and a kick-ass feature that lacks from so many other games.

2. Dear My Friend--Sonic Unleashed.

For a long time, this was number 1 on my list, but I had to switch it, as this is a one-time thing, and my number one is a near-constant. The ending to Sonic Unleashed is a long-time coming, but it's absolutely worth it after defeating the most difficult level of all time and besting a boss that's just as challenging. The cutscenes themselves are heartwarming, but the closing theme--Dear My Friend by Brent Cash--is a melter. I've listened to that song 29 times. I've cried to that song thirty-two times. Say whatever the hell you want to me, call me all kinds of names, I don't care. This ending theme has never failed to reduce me to a literal puddle of a sobbing man. It does indeed make me cry. I mean 'lose-my-dog' cry. No other song, and no other gaming moment ever touched me to that degree. Reach made me cry, sure--but I got over it very quickly. Something like this is a permanent softness in the heart, and probably the most cherished memory I could ever have been put on this earth to witness.

https://youtu.be/5Bdtv9PfPvs?t=57m16s

(Embed doesn't work with time-starts.)

1. Literally Every Time I Press 'X'--Modern Sonic Series

The reason I switched this with number 2 is because this is a feeling so exhilarating, it's something I literally wish for in real life! I've heard people complain that Sonic is "too fast" and that levels become trial and error, and that the levels are too punishing, blah blah--no. EGGMANLAND is punishing, and I nailed that, but the rest are really easy!

Just keep going. Don't give up, put that brain to work and remember you can take it slow first. THEN you hit X and go pro--like I do.

Pressing X activates boost, and when you learn the level of the layout, you quickly realize that Sonic Team re-perfected the philosophy of the one-button game instilled all the way back at Sonic's birth. Your speed gets insane. The music funnels into a tunnel of compressed whistles, to help amplify the incredible effect of running at the speed of sound itself. Combine that with strong nerves, and a decent memory, and you've got THIS.

(And you KNOW I've got loads more. And none of them have views. Show some love!!)

But those are my faves,and I feel good sharing them all with you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread