Ooh, And Another Thing! (Off-Topic)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 18:06 (3187 days ago) @ Morpheus

Discovering Horror For The First Time--Halo:Combat Evolved

Still a hell of a feeling. This could be reflected in a lot of games, but Halo 1 does an awesome job. C'mon, you know I don't need to say any more.

Except for one thing--when I first started playing in 2002, I didn't know the cutscenes were utilizing in-game engines, and that each experience would be somewhat different. I guess Bungie knew this somehow, because the first time I watched, just as Jenkins fell backwards, a whole bunch of Infection forms walked right over the camera. In all the times I've played 343 Guilty Spark, I've never gotten that to happen to me again--ever. The chills I got were nerve-wracking, and I think it's incredible for them to introduce a whole new enemy to us, in the most terrifying way possible.

The first time I encountered this sequence I was FULLY expecting a friggin' Sword Elite to charge out of the door behind me (the MC) and skewer me against the door Jenkins & team went through. Why? Because of the eerie music and those DANG SPOOKY STRINGS which were straight from the E3 demo where the marine says while turning his back to the door, "All clear, looks like nobody's homuuugghhh." and gets a sword through his back.

Video Link (because youtubefull doesn't like timestamps).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread