2 & Brotherhood (Gaming)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 00:26 (3070 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Are very similar. Brotherhood has the added "brotherhood" mechanics where you can train up operatives, send them on quests, or when you have enough in the city, unleash that torrent of arrows.

One of them had the Da Vinci DLC which was fun.

I can't remember why, but Revelations just didn't have the same appeal for me.

To me, Revelations was the first time the AC series shifted gears with the way it presented the open world. AC2 and Brotherhood opened up very slowly, introducing new elements, activities, and mechanics organically as you progressed through the story. Revelations was the first entry to basically throw you into a city with a whole bunch of objectives and mission markers on your map and say "go nuts". It's the formula all open world Ubisoft games have followed since, and it's a real shame IMO.

I was fine with that aspect, personally. I tend to prefer game worlds being open at (or near) the start like GTA V, Elder Scrolls, etc. Especially with a sequel.

My problem with Revelations was that the whole game felt... unnecessary? It didn't take a step back, so that's good, but it also didn't take a step forward... More like it took a step sideways. The historic story had some interesting parts, especially Ezio and Altair 'meeting', but large parts of it felt like more of the same. Design-wise and art direction as well. Constantinople was just Rome with a different skybox essentially.

My main enthusiasm-killer was the out-of-animus story which essentially put the parking break on and threw those first-person platforming levels at you to buy some time. Which is the opposite speed of pacing a player wants after the cliffhanger ending of Brotherhood, an ending which was still never resolved even though I had completed a whole another entry in the series! It would have been like ODST coming out in the place of Halo 3!

When I heard Ezio was going away, I thought it'd be best to say goodbye to the series for a while (even though I still never knew what happened after that cliffhanger). I have sunk a few fun pirate-y hours into Black Flag since I got it free with Gold, but it still doesn't have the characters or story to draw me in.

I always thought it would be cool is you found out Desmond was an ancestor of another character - an animus in an animus, and eventually you'd get Assassin's Creed in the future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread