So ... about AC (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, December 09, 2015, 12:28 (3070 days ago) @ Oholiab

It's interesting to me to hear so much praise for AC2. I haven't really followed the series' progress much, but I recently played AC2 because it was free on XBL, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to know I'm not alone there.

Agreed!

Where I am apparently alone is on the original game. Admittedly, I haven't played it since it was (relatively) new, but I remember it being good, at least story-wise. Hard to remember the gameplay specifics, but my opinion is that it's worth playing just for that element. Especially if you already have it, as appears to be the case for Kermit.

I may be exaggerating, but I recall the first game was really groundbreaking in a lot of ways. The "puppeteering" gameplay was innovative, and the initial cutscenes had me wondering if I had bought the wrong game. That was pretty fun.

What wasn't fun was the lack of "fast-travel" that came with AC2. You literally had to ride your horse (or walk) the entire way (in game distance) from one town, through a central open area, to another town. As you progressed in the game, this became really tedious.

I would agree that AC1 is probably worth at least trying, but I just don't think it's aged very well. And even when it was new, it was interesting and fun (in ways) but the systems weren't really completely developed. AC2 is one of those rare games where the sequel really expanded upon an idea and made what was only interesting and novel into something fun. A few of the actual assassinations in AC1 are still some of the best, actually. I think that's a big part where the series actually got worse as time went on. In the first they were challenging and interesting . . . towards the end you didn't have to do anything other thank walk straight up to your target and stab him then run away.

I have not played AC3 (American Revolution), nor the one with the polar pirate story, nor Unity. Sounds like I didn't miss anything.

Black Flag is great, but just because of the pirate stuff (for me, anyway). The normal AC gameplay is largely the same (but without a large city to actually climb around in, it definitely suffers). But the ship to ship stuff was novel enough to really make that game fun. It's also incredibly pretty at times.

AC3 was bad in just about every way imaginable; I don't think I made it halfway through that game before I quit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread