ASE on Destiny Gameplay Reveal

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 08:25 (3975 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Kermit, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 08:34

I think Cody just likes playing devil's advocate, to be honest.

I find it convenient because it means I don't have to.

He does force us to defend our fandom. That can't be all bad. Sometimes I can't believe he really believes what he's saying, and he's just toying with us. (He's come close to admitting this. See the last haiku.) He states his convictions so strongly, though, that I have to believe he's a good actor or he's ridden his chosen hobby horse so long that he's convinced himself too well that he's absolutely right and you're absolutely wrong.

But let's bring this into the vid. (Loved the intro!)

Cody, I'm going to stop talking about you in the third person. :) Glad you said some nice things--about the engine, about the environment, and I agree that we can't make too many ironclad judgments about gameplay and such in this kind of pseudo-scripted demo.

Your hero complaint is based on a legitimate difference--as compared to Halo, you are not the single-savior of the universe, but there can be, as narcogen said, multiple legends, and it's not the same kind of story. Whereas Halo was more like Alien, where one person survives to be the hero, Destiny seems more like Star Wars, where small groups win the day. Is Han Solo a legend in the Star Wars universe. Of course! Is he the only one? Of course not! Another way that the terminology fits is that this seems to be a world steeped in legend, which sets the stage for new legends to be born.

Your comment about the immersion being broken by the public event is valid, and even though we know this isn't how it's going to be in the final game, we know there will be some kind of prompt to join or not join, so there's will be some kind of break. We'll see.

I'm with you, narcogen, about a big part of games' appeal being virtual tourism. I can't wait to go exploring. Maybe if your internet is having a good day I'll see you there!

Kermit

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread